IELTS Letter Writing for the General Training Module

Writing letters are easier than academic writing. This is a fact that IELTS General Training candidates will definitely agree with. The IELTS or the International English Language Testing System examination has a letter writing task on its General Training Writing Section. Though it is easier than the graph interpretation in the Academic Writing, exercises should be practiced to hone the writing skills of the candidate. To further improve and better your skills, here are some tips for the letter writing section of the IELTS test.

1. Make sure to understand what the task is all about. Knowing what to write is a key point in writing.
2. Since it is a letter writing task, always write a greeting and a closing.
3. There are some tasks that need to be responded in the letter. Double check if all tasks are answered. Failure to do so can result to a low score.
4. Check your grammar. Be consistent with your tenses. The flow of the verb tenses should be smooth and with the right transitions.
5. Know the tone of your letter. There are some tasks wherein you need to write in a formal tone since you are writing to a professor or a boss. While some tasks need to be in an informal writing tone since it is addressed to friends.
6. Choose the right words or vocabulary in your sentence. Make sure it suits the tone of your letter.
7. Check the number of words you have. You will lose some points if your letter is below 150 words.
8. Spelling check. Since it is a paper-based test, be extra careful in committing mistakes on spelling.
9. Use transition words if possible.
10. Use correct punctuation marks on your sentences.


Sample Task 1 General Training letter

Question:

You live in a room in college which you share with another student. However, there are many problems with this arrangement and you find it very difficult to work. 

Write a letter to the accommodation officer at the college. In the letter, 

• describe the situation 
• explain your problems and why it is difficult to work 
• say what kind of accommodation you would prefer




Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this letter about my problems with my accommodation here in the university, particularly with my roommate. 

As you know, I am currently sharing a room with another student. I really do not have a problem sharing a room with someone; however, my roommate has been very inconsiderate for the past few weeks. During the first few months of living together, everything was going smoothly until recently. He has been bringing friends over the room and they stay until the early morning. They talk so loud that I cannot concentrate on my work and sleep as well. I have talked to him about this but he seemed not to take things seriously. Last night, I came home and saw him using my computer without even asking for my permission. This is really upsetting. The finals are in two weeks and I am so stressed living with him. 

With this, I am asking from your office to find me a single room. I would not mind paying a little extra as long as I am relaxed and comfortable with the room. 

I am hoping to hearing from you soon. 

Truly, 
James

If you are planning to take IELTS you can visit this site www.jroozreview.com/ielts-review-center.



No comments:

Post a Comment