Contractions in the IELTS Writing Test – Are They Allowed?

Writing itself is already difficult, what more if you have to write an essay for an English proficiency exam?
English proficiency exams have been very popular in the Philippines for many years now. Hundred and even thousands of individuals take these exams as a requirement in getting a job or entering a university overseas. One of the most taken English exams is the International English Language Testing System examination. Like any other exams, it has a very challenging writing section.

The IELTS Writing section is aimed to evaluate how well one can express himself or herself in written text. In detail, the writing task gauges an individual’s fluency in coming up with an essay in given graphs or ideas. In the IELTS writing test, there are two tasks the candidate has to complete.

Many tips are given on how to ace the IELTS examination. In addition, do’s and don’ts have also been detailed. Among these is the use of contractions in the essay. What are contractions?

Contractions are short forms of words in the English language. In conversations, contractions are often used. However, for an English fluency exam such as the IELTS writing test, it is best avoided in writing formal letters and essays which is in the Academic module. Instead, candidates are asked to write the full forms of these words. Conversely, if asked to write an informal letter, contractions may be used. What are common contractions in English? Here is a list of common contractions used in English.

Can’t (cannot)
The government cannot implement a new rule unless it is signed and approved by the Supreme Court.
We cannot fathom the reason for this diemma.
Don’t (do not)
Doesn’t (does not)
We do not allow civilians to walk at night.
She does not know how to react to such issues.
I’d (I had/I would)
I had a fever last night so I went to bed straight.
I would rather live in the country than experience negative things in the city.
I’ll (I will/I shall)
I will let you know about my decision.
I shall return with your package.
Mightn’t (might not)
Children might not understand the purpose of the project.
She might not show up during the pageant.
They’re (they are)
They are given three chances to change their answers.
They are always late for the meeting.
Who’ve (who have)
They were the people who have met the president.
Those children who have blue shoes should be in one group.
You’ve (you have)
You have had a tough night. Get some rest.
You have experienced a great deal of pain with him.
That’s (that is/that has)
That is what you get from lying.
That is right.
I’m (I am)
I am writing this letter to inform you regarding my absence.
I am definitely tired from too much writing.

Avoid contractions in writing formal letters. Stick to the rules and your writing will surely get a good band score in the IELTS. 

If you are planning to take IELTS go here www.jroozreview.com/ielts-review-center.

No comments:

Post a Comment